Samba joining NT domain (*not* the DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt FAQ)

Tim Potter tpot at linuxcare.com.au
Tue Dec 5 23:08:42 GMT 2000

Berend Ozceri writes:

> After reading all of the DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt documentation, I am still
> running into problems having my Linux machine running Samba 2.0.7 join
> an NT domain. I think the thing that throws a monkey wrench into the
> whole scenario that is outlined in the documentation is that in my case
> the machine was added to the PDC back when it was a Windows NT machine.

Try going in to the server manager, deleting the machine and
adding it again.  Then try running smbpasswd as per usual.

When the machine has been freshly added to the server manager the
trust account password is set to a well-known value.  This allows
smbpasswd (and the NT Control Panel networking applet) to join
the domain.  Since you are currently joined to the domain with
the NT machine, the trust account password is not known.

Regards,

Tim.