Samba joining NT domain (*not* the DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt FAQ)

Berend Ozceri berend at cisco.com
Tue Dec 5 22:13:04 GMT 2000

After reading all of the DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt documentation, I am still
running into problems having my Linux machine running Samba 2.0.7 join
an NT domain. I think the thing that throws a monkey wrench into the
whole scenario that is outlined in the documentation is that in my case
the machine was added to the PDC back when it was a Windows NT machine.
Now when I try to join the domain, I get:

# smbpasswd -j CISCO_ENG
cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
CISCO-ENG-SJC05. Error was : NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT.
Unable to join domain CISCO_ENG.

Now I *know* that the machine is added to the PDC because I can reboot
the same machine into Windows NT and login to the domain without any
problems.

Is it possible that a unique identifier (MACHINE.SID?) needs to be
extracted from the Windows NT side and used under Samba? I would rather
not delete the machine from the PDC and readd it.

Thanks,

Berend