Paradox, BDE and Samba

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at bangor.ac.uk
Tue Dec 5 17:09:50 GMT 2000

chandra wrote:
> From looking at the mailing list archives it appears that
> byte locking issues in samba have never really been
> resolved.  Byte locking (or record locking) are important
> for desktop database products such as paradox or other
> products based on the BDE (Borland Database Engine).  The
> BDE does things like locking a range of bytes which lie
> beyond the end of the physical file, which I think is not
> supported by Samba.  Is this true?  Or have others
> successfully deployed multi-user paradox or other BDE
> products connecting to a samba file server?

We certainly make quite a bit of use of paradox and some of the
databases are stored on Samba network drives (samba version 1.9.18
still!) As far as I know multiple users make use of some of these.

Have you actually tried this and found a problem or do you just suspect
there may be a problem?

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed				A crash reduces
Information Services			your expensive computer