Samba looking up hostnames in passwd NIS map??

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Mon Dec 4 19:44:17 GMT 2000

Jesse,

On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 08:56:43 -0500, Jesse Asher wrote:

>I've looked through the archives for this list and couldn't find
>mention of a strange behavior I'm seeing.
>
>I've got a Win98 system that is trying to map a share from my Samba
>server running Solaris 7 and Samba 2.0.7.
>
>When I  map the network drive (the share is /tmp on the server),
>Samba does attempt to contact the NIS server (the nsswitch.conf file
>has "hosts:  files nis"), but it  looks up the hostname of the Win98
>box i(jwasher-mobl) n the passwd NIS map!  As you can see below, it
>makes various NIS calls and then finally queries my real loginid
>(jwasher) and quits.

[...]

>Why is it doing this?  This is very inefficient.  If it does this for
>every connection, that seems like a huge waste.  Any ideas on why
>this would be happening?

You might try to spend some time reading the man page for smb.conf.
Under "security = share" you will find a part beginning with:

    As clients are not required to send a username to the server in
    share level security, smbd uses several techniques to determine
    the correct UNIX user to use on behalf of the client.

    A list of possible UNIX usernames to match with the given client
    password is constructed using the following methods :

And (a little later)

    The NetBIOS name of the client is added to the list as a potential
    username.

I bet your problem is "security = share".

Reagrds,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.