Samba as PDC

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Mon Dec 4 14:10:24 GMT 2000

yarond wrote:
> I joined my Samba server to an NT DOMAIN and after that the user had only 2 password:
> (1) - PC password ( from the PDC) (2) - Unix password (fron NIS)
> without any smbpasswd file , and it working great.
>
> What i am trying now is this:
>
> I config my Samba server as PDC , i try to make the  authentication process only against the NIS
> (so that user will only have one password - Unix password) but i could not done it.

	Yes, this is a problem: the formats of the encrypted
	Microsoft password(s) and the Unix password are different,
	so you can't just drop the MS password field into the
	Unix yp table.

> I always need to user the smbpasswd in order to make currect login (and thats a problem for me,
> becuase i can not handle 10 smbpasswd files on 10 diffrent server.
> My final goal is to config the 10 Samba servers as PDC and the  authentication process will use
> only the Unix password (NIS).

	 You may want to look at "nisgina", an module you
	install as a .dll on your windows systems to use
	the nis/yp password file instead of the MS one.

	It used to be at http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~williams/,
	but apparently has moved...

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com