Samba looking up hostnames in passwd NIS map??

Jesse Asher jwasher at orion.hd.intel.com
Mon Dec 4 13:56:43 GMT 2000

I've looked through the archives for this list and couldn't find mention
of a strange behavior I'm seeing.

I've got a Win98 system that is trying to map a share from my Samba
server running Solaris 7 and Samba 2.0.7.

When I  map the network drive (the share is /tmp on the server), Samba
does attempt to contact the NIS server (the nsswitch.conf file has
"hosts:  files nis"), but it  looks up the hostname of the Win98 box
i(jwasher-mobl) n the passwd NIS map!  As you can see below, it makes
various NIS calls and then finally queries my real loginid (jwasher) and
quits.

Example:

cwafssrv1.hd.intel.com -> dusk.hd.intel.com NIS C MATCH jwasher-mobL in
passwd.byname
dusk.hd.intel.com -> cwafssrv1.hd.intel.com NIS R MATCH No such key
cwafssrv1.hd.intel.com -> dusk.hd.intel.com NIS C MATCH jwasher-mobl in
passwd.byname
dusk.hd.intel.com -> cwafssrv1.hd.intel.com NIS R MATCH No such key
cwafssrv1.hd.intel.com -> dusk.hd.intel.com NIS C MATCH JWASHER-MOBL in
passwd.byname
dusk.hd.intel.com -> cwafssrv1.hd.intel.com NIS R MATCH No such key
cwafssrv1.hd.intel.com -> dusk.hd.intel.com NIS C MATCH Jwasher-mobl in
passwd.byname
dusk.hd.intel.com -> cwafssrv1.hd.intel.com NIS R MATCH No such key
cwafssrv1.hd.intel.com -> dusk.hd.intel.com NIS C MATCH jwasher in
passwd.byname
dusk.hd.intel.com -> cwafssrv1.hd.intel.com NIS R MATCH OK

where cwafssrv1 is the Samba server and dusk is the NIS server.  As you
can see, it is attempting to look up "jwasher-mobl" in various
incarnations.

Why is it doing this?  This is very inefficient.  If it does this for
every connection, that seems like a huge waste.  Any ideas on why this
would be happening?

--
Jesse W. Asher
Sr. Manager of Information Technology