Samba as PDC

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Sun Dec 3 11:08:30 GMT 2000

Yaron,

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000 10:26:35 +0200, yarond wrote:

>NIS server running on sun, 10 SAMBA servers on HPUX and many Win98
>Win2000 clients..
>
>At the begining i tried to make the user authentication very simple.
>Instad of having 3 passwords: (1) - PC password (2) - Unix (NIS)
>password (3) Samba password.
>
>I joined my Samba server to an NT DOMAIN and after that the user had
>only 2 password:
>(1) - PC password ( from the PDC) (2) - Unix password (fron NIS)
>without any smbpasswd file , and it working great.
>
>What i am trying now is this:
>
>I config my Samba server as PDC , i try to make the  authentication
>process only against the NIS (so that user will only have one
>password - Unix password) but i could not done it.

Sorry to disappoint you: No PDC functionality for W2K clients yet (up
to 2.0.7, you might try your luck with 2.2.0-alpha1) and no PDC
functionality without "encrypt passwords = yes", thus no NIS.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.