Samba as PDC

yarond yaron.daniel at telrad.co.il
Sun Dec 3 08:26:35 GMT 2000

Hello all

My environment is like this:

NIS server running on sun, 10 SAMBA servers on HPUX and many Win98 Win2000 clients..

At the begining i tried to make the user authentication very simple.
Instad of having 3 passwords: (1) - PC password (2) - Unix (NIS) password (3) Samba password.

I joined my Samba server to an NT DOMAIN and after that the user had only 2 password:
(1) - PC password ( from the PDC) (2) - Unix password (fron NIS)
without any smbpasswd file , and it working great.

What i am trying now is this:

I config my Samba server as PDC , i try to make the  authentication process only against the NIS
(so that user will only have one password - Unix password) but i could not done it.
I always need to user the smbpasswd in order to make currect login (and thats a problem for me,
becuase i can not handle 10 smbpasswd files on 10 diffrent server.

Is there anyway i can make this process come true ???

My final goal is to config the 10 Samba servers as PDC and the  authentication process will use
only the Unix password (NIS).

Best Regards
Yaron Daniel
System Administrator - HP team