smb.conf for win2k

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Sat Dec 2 21:44:00 GMT 2000

I am trying to get win2k to work with Samba 2.0.5a that works
with win 98. I read on

http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au/samba/ntdomfaq.html

that Win 2k will not work with Samba as a PDC, but will work
as a file share. So, question is:

Can I make win 2k work with my current Samba config that functions
as a PDC for win 98?

Do I need to upgrade my current working 2.0.5a?

Below is the working smb.conf for win 98, but fails to allow me
to browse with win2k.

brian

;
; /etc/smb.conf
;
; Sample configuration file for the Samba suite for Debian GNU/Linux
;
; Please see the manual page for smb.conf for detailed description of
;	every parameter.
;

[global]
   netbios name = DASERVER
   printing = lprng
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root
   dead time = 60
   time server = yes
   password level = 4
; DOMAIN SPECIFIC INFO
   os level = 64
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   logon script = %U.bat
;   logon script = logon.bat

; "security = user" is always a good idea. This will require a Unix account
;	in this server for every user accessing the server.
   security = user

; Change this for the workgroup your Samba server will part of
   workgroup = SANJOSE

   server string = %h server (Samba %v)

; This socket options really speed up Samba under Linux, according to my
;	own tests.
   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096

; Passwords are encrypted by default. This way the latest Windows 95 and NT
;	clients can connect to the Samba server with no problems.
   encrypt passwords = yes

; It's always a good idea to use a WINS server. If you want this server
;	to be the WINS server for your network change the following parameter
;	to "yes". Otherwise leave it as "no" and specify your WINS server
; 	below (note: only one Samba server can be the WINS server).
;	Read BROWSING.txt for more details.
   wins support = yes

; If this server is not the WINS server then specify who is it and uncomment
;	next line.
;   wins server = 172.16.0.10

; Please read BROWSING.txt and set the next four parameters according
;	to your network setup. There is no valid default so they are commented
;	out.
;   os level = 0
;   domain master = no
;   local master = no
;   preferred master = no

; What naming service and in what order should we use to resolve host names
;	to IP addresses
   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

; This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
   dns proxy = no

; Name mangling options

   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes

; This boolean parameter controlls whether Samba attempts to sync. the Unix
;	password with the SMB password when the encrypted SMB password in the
;	/etc/samba/smbpasswd file is changed.
   unix password sync = false

; For Unix password sync. to work on a Debian GNU/Linux system, the following
;	parameters must be set (thanks to Culus for pointing this out):
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New\spassword:* %n\n *Re-enter\snew\spassword:* %n\n *Password\schanged.* .

; The following parameter is useful only if you have the linpopup package
;	installed. The samba maintainer and the linpopup maintainer are
;	working to ease installation and configuration of linpopup and samba.
;   message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s' &

; The default maximum log file size is 5 MBytes. That's too big so this
;	next parameter sets it to 1 MByte. Currently, Samba rotates log
;	files (/var/log/{smb,nmb} in Debian) when these files reach 1000 KBytes.
;	A better solution would be to have Samba rotate the log file upon
;	reception of a signal, but for now on, we have to live with this.
   max log size = 1000

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = %H
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0600
   directory mode = 0700

[colaborate]
   comment = Marquis Systems Files
   path = /home/colab
   valid users = @colab
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0660
   directory mode = 0770

[finance]
   comment = Marquis Finance Data
   path = /home/finance
   valid users = @finance
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0660
   directory mode = 0770

[billcon]
   comment = Marquis Billing And Contracts
   path = /home/billcon
   valid users = @billcon
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0660
   directory mode = 0770

[mammoth]
   comment = Internet Gateway
   path = /home/mammoth
;   valid users = @www-data
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

;DOMAIN SPECIFIC INFO
[netlogon]
   comment = NETLOGON service
   path = /home/netlogon
   locking = no
   writeable = no
   public = no

; By default, the home directories are exported read only. Change next
;	parameter to "no" if you want to be able to write to them.
;   read only = yes

; File creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you want to
;	create files with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
   create mask = 0700

; Directory creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you want to
;	create dirs. with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
   directory mask = 0700

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

; A sample share for sharing your CD-ROM with others.
;[cdrom]
;   comment = Samba server's CD-ROM
;   writable = no
;   locking = no
;   path = /cdrom
;   public = yes
;
; The next two parameters show how to auto-mount a CD-ROM when the
;	cdrom share is accesed. For this to work /etc/fstab must contain
;	an entry like this:
;
;       /dev/scd0   /cdrom  iso9660 defaults,noauto,ro,user   0 0
;
; The CD-ROM gets unmounted automatically after the connection to the
;
; If you don't want to use auto-mounting/unmounting make sure the CD
;	is mounted on /cdrom
;
;   preexec = /bin/mount /cdrom
;   postexec = /bin/umount /cdrom