Encryption of samba partitions

Stefan Nunninger nunninger at web.de
Sat Dec 2 18:58:39 GMT 2000

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering wheter it's possible to encrypt complete samba shares.

I'd like to have a partition where I can save confidential data. This partition should be accessible
only to persons that know a passphrase. All reading/storing activities on the partition should be
decrypted/encrypted on the fly. As algorithm I'm thinking of anything like triple DES.

Is there anything like this available as open source?

The reason why I want to have this is in case a harddisc is stolen. On the other hand the usage
for trusted people should be as easy as possible.

Thanks for any help
Stefan