Odd behavior in Samba

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Sat Dec 2 08:26:38 GMT 2000

Dan,

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:56:27 -0700 (MST), Dan Egli wrote:

>Problem 1)
>I'm trying to configure a samba server to be a central storage
>location. I have defined a share on the server (call it postgate
>server) called storage. However, when I type (in windows) \\postgate
>\storage it says it cannot find the server postgate. I can add an
>LMHOSTS entry for postgate, and then the server is readable, but does
>not show in the browse list. Any ideas on why or how to fix?

Did you start nmbd? Without nmbd the Samba server will not be
browseable.

Are the client and the server in the same subnet? If not: set up a
WINS server (Samba will do fine) and point both the server and the
client to that WINS server (no need to point Samba anywhere when
itself is the WINS server :-)

Samba as WINS server:

    wins support = yes
    wins proxy = yes

Another machine as WINS server:

    wins support = no
    wins server = xx.xx.xx.xx # IP-Address of WINS server

>Problem 2)
>On a machine with the LMHOSTS entry for postgate, we cannot write to
>the server. When we try to save a file to the server, we get access
>denied errors (The file <filename> is on a network directory with
>create but no modify privledges). I can put files up just fine from
>the linux side using smbclient. Anyone ever encountered this? Anyone
>know how to fix it?

Did you configure the share is writeable? The default is "no".

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.