Problem with DHCP

David A Smith dasb at eci.esys.com
Fri Dec 1 12:59:02 GMT 2000

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Angel Ramon wrote:

>          We've tried changing to a fix WINS server address, and the problem
> disappears and all works perfect, but we are interested to work with WINS
> served by DHCP.

We run with all clients DHCPed, including DNS and WINS addresses with no
problems.

I assume the WINS server addresses you are giving through DHCP are the
same as you are testing the fixed WINS address?

check a client just after boot and do an "ipconfig /all" or winipconfig
and check that the wins and DNS addresses are showing up correctly.

Add the samba server as a static entry in WINS.

Check that if you have multiple WINS servers they are synced.

Good luck.

David A. Smith          dasb at eci.esys.com
Systems Administrator, Raytheon Systems
St. Petersburg, FL