User level vs. Share level

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Thu Aug 31 16:15:26 GMT 2000

Tim James wrote:

> I wonder if you could tell me or point me in the direction
> of a document that would explain the differences between
> user level and share level security and explain the
> advantages and disadvantages of each one.  Especially reasons for
> using user mode over share mode.

Try
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1998-10/lw-10-thereandback.html

I could also recommend Teach Yourself Samba in 24 hours"
which is supposed ot be available on-line at www.informit.com.
Don't have an exact URL as I haven't check it out recently.

The basic difference is that share level only uses a password
to authenticate a connection while user-level utilizes both
a username and proof of identity (trasnmitted in the
SMBsessetup&X request).  The user-level is more intuitive
for UNIX users I think.  Although Samba still users utilizes
a username and password for authentication (even in share-level).

I think there is also a security_level.txt file included in
the docs/ directory of the Samba distribution.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org
       http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~cartegw