trashed files on a Samba share?

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Thu Aug 31 14:34:36 GMT 2000

Andrea Borgia wrote:

> My problem is this: my mail and newsreader, Forté Agent, runs
> ok when the server is NT but has the annoying habit
> of systematically trashing its databases if the server
> is Samba. But not always...
>
> If the client is 98, no problems at all. If the client is NT, then
> Agent will work ok if you set "nt smb support" to "no". With this
> setting, a client running 98 will fail to see any subdir on that
> share, even though they are still able to cd into them. Not good.

Win9x clients do not use the NT smb commands and therefore all
is fine.

> If you leave "nt smb support" setting to its default, as soon as Agent
> touches any of its databases it is gone, becomes empty.
>
> This has been happening for the last couple of releases of Samba,
> from 1.6 to 1.8 of Agent and sp 4 to 6 of NT.
>
> I even submitted a bug report (PR#20075) but never
> heard anything back. Please note that I still don't know
> whether the fault lies with Samba or Agent: on one hand, if
> the server runs NT all is well (as opposed to when
> the server runs Samba), on the other hand, Agent is a userland
> application and should not care whether the userlying OS (NT
> or 98) is talking with Samba or another MS system. I will
> also contact Forté tech support (I'm a registered user).

Andrea,

We have three ways of pursuing this.  (a) you can send us
netmon (or raw tcpdump) traces of a successful suession
against an NT server and ones of a failed session against
a Samba server (include level 10 debug logs with this as well).
These should not be mailed to the list. Contact me off line
regarding this.  (b) you contact tech support and tell them that
you have to have their product work against a Samba server.  Ask
them to provide us with the application software necessary
for testing and debugging and we'll fix the server code.
or (c) tell tech support that you have to use Sambs boxes and
they can send us a patch to fix the server code.

(b) is preferrable, but (a) will work.  I would love to see (c)
but most companies will opt for (b).    Again, contact me
off line and I will get you the information to pass along to
Forte' Agent people.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org