samba install, help with

Charles E. Gelm chuck at gelm.net
Wed Aug 30 12:07:25 GMT 2000

Hi, Peter:
Thanks.
I know little about file systems and directories in Linux.
I am understanding, now, that other OSs use 'samba' and that I
probably should have specified what I want, what I have
and what I have tried to do, in my original post.

 I have a Linux-2.0.37pre10 (slackware-3.9) IP-Masq server,
a Windows98 and a WFWGv3.11 at home.  I'm trying to configure
Samba on the IP-Masq box.  I want to use Samba as a 'file server'
on the IP-Masq box.

 It doesn't make sense to me to un-tar it into /.
I just thought that there was a good default place to un-tar
application/tool/service/utility sources.

So far the only suggestion is yours:
/usr/local/src

Thanks for the tip about not using a NFS filesystem.

Chuck