Network Name Cannot Be Found Error

miki miki at electricangels.com
Wed Aug 30 07:41:17 GMT 2000

Hi there,

      I have been pulling out my hair for the past ten days and nights messing with samba which is quite new to me. I really wish someone out there can give me a hand so that i can get some sleep. Thank you.
       I have got the Samba Server installed correctly using the Red Hat Lnux 6.1 software package. All configuration required on the Windows 2000 side had been configured correctly. I had enclosed with my configuration of the smb.conf file below, hope it will be a reference to you to point out my mistake or errors.
       The host name and IP address of the Linux Box is DELL, 10.0.0.1
       The two windows workstation are 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.12
        I am using smb version 2.0.5

  I have got the DELL network icon displayed in the windows explorer just that when i tried to click on the icon, an error box appear with the following messages disallowing me to browse,
 \\DELL\home\ is not accessible
The network name cannot be found.

Many thanks in advance.

regards,
miki

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
workgroup = LINUX
netbios name = DELL
server string = Samba Server
hosts allow = 10.0.0.
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
printing = bsd
guest account = nobody
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
security = user
password level = 8
username level = 8
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*%n\n*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
username map = /etc/smbusers
interfaces = 10.0.0.1/24
remote announce = 10.0.0.255
local master = yes
os level = 65
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain logons = yes
logon script = %m.bat
logon script = %U.bat
logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
wins support = yes
dns proxy = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

[mac]
   comment = Mac Volume
   path = /usr/mac
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[eME]
   comment = eMadeEasy Share
   path = /usr/eme
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   create mask = 0765

[pete]
   comment = Pete's Stuff
   path = /usr/pete
   valid users = pete
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[soo]
   comment = SooWeng's Stuff
   path = /usr/soo
   valid users = soo
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[ck]
   comment = ck's Personal WorkSpace
   path = /usr/ck
   valid users = ck
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[miki]
   comment = miki's Personal BathRoom (No Peeping!)
   path = /usr/miki
   valid users = miki
   public = no
   writable = yes