Samba and disk space

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 29 10:51:11 GMT 2000

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Jeff Boschee wrote:

> I am having trouble and was hoping it was an easy fix as I am new to using
> Samba.  The problem is, is that samba itself works great, but the share I
> made for a particular program says that there is 0 bytes remaining, and I
> know the disk is far from being full.   Could it be a rights issue?

One possiblity: some software (particularly DOS or 16-bit software) has
problems coping with the very large numbers reported for size and free
space by modern disks.

There is an smb.conf parameter, "max disk size =", which can be used to
artificially cap the size of the numbers returned. This exists to allow
you to work around this type of bug ...

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology