password problems

Killen Christopher christopher.killen at newcastle.gov.uk
Tue Aug 29 10:49:00 GMT 2000

I'm having problems with the user password sync option.

I have Samba 2.0.3 running on a Sun Solaris 2.6 server.  Initially we weren't
using the unix password sync option, but we are now starting to experiment with
synchronising passwords over a domain, and this would seem to be one small step.

Without user password sync changing user passwords using SWAT is fine.  Having
the option on produces the error:

machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : The specified
password is invalid. Failed to change password for <user>

Changing the user password from root in SWAT seems to change the password.  The
result is: SWAT thinks the password for samba is the same.  The server thinks
the unix password is the same.  The pc login changes to the new password.

The options I have on that I think are relevant are:

Security = USER
encrypt password = Yes
update encrypted = No
passwd program = /bin/passwd
passwd chat = *old*password* %o\n *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n
*changed*
passwd chat = No
unix password sync = Yes

I know the option should work, but it doesn't seem to get permissions to change
the unix side, and screws up the Samba side.

Any ideas??

the system manager.

City of Newcastle website:-  www.newcastle.gov.uk
Developing Newcastle:- www.newcastle.gov.uk/devnewcastle