Samba force user creates files and folders as root

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Fri Aug 25 16:26:51 GMT 2000

John Ferguson wrote:

> I am including the smb.conf, log from my workstation
> and a listing of the files and folders created.
> Force group correctly sets the group, but force
> user always creates stuff as root.  Samba 2.0.7
> on Sparc Solaris 2.6.

[Ops_Docs]
	path = /home/Ops_Docs
	valid users = jferguson rosemary
	admin users = jferguson rosemary
	read list = jferguson rosemary
	write list = jferguson rosemary
	force user = jferguson
	force group = opdocgrp
	writeable = Yes
	create mask = 0774
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit permissions = Yes

It's because you have jferguson listed as an admin user
which by definition means that all operations done
by jferguson are performed as root.   Maybe not a
very intuitive configuration I would admit.  I can see how
it would be easy to get caught in this.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org