win2000 plaintext password

Jon Mitchell jrm at freedom.swc.com
Fri Aug 25 15:34:23 GMT 2000

This is probably an FAQ, but my looking into the issue was unproductive.
When connecting to a samba share from a win2000 professional machine, I
get prompted for a password.  Security is set to user on the samba
machine.  I reenter the same password as the local user that I login as,
and then it accepts it.

I'm not using encrypted passwords, but I have added the PlainTextPassword
registry setting to the win2000 machine.  Even when I have drives mapped
upon login, the first drive always asks me to enter the password even
though it's the same as the user's password.  Is there anyway to fix this?

--
Jon Mitchell
Systems Engineer, Subject Wills & Company
jrm at swc.com