configure cant find test code

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Thu Aug 24 23:32:20 GMT 2000

[Calixto Melean <cmelean at yahoo.com>]
> Peter, this is the configure output and the config.log file.

OK.  I'm not a genius at reading these things but...

> checking size of int... 0
> checking size of long... 0
> checking size of short... 0

Aha!  Looks like major compiler problems.  These should be "4", "4" and
"2" respectively, since the HP-PA 1.1 is a 32-bit chip.  Then we
have...

> checking for real setresuid... no
> checking for real setresgid... no
> checking for 8-bit clean memcmp... no
> checking for crypt... no
> checking for crypt in -lcrypt... no
> checking for connect... no
> checking for printf in -lnsl_s... no
> checking for printf in -lnsl... no
> checking for connect in -lsocket... no
> checking for connect in -linet... no
> checking for execl... no
> checking for waitpid... no
> checking for getcwd... no
> checking for strdup... no
> checking for strtoul... no
> checking for strerror... no
> checking for chown... no
> checking for chmod... no
> checking for chroot... no

Very *very* suspicious, all these "no" answers in a row.

I see the configure program is using "aCC" as your C compiler.  My
strong suspicion is that "aCC" is actually a C++ compiler.  Contrary to
popular belief, C++ is not even close to backward compatible with C, so
this could easily be your problem.

Now where is it getting "aCC"?  Do you have your "CC" variable set to
that, by any chance?  Look in /opt/aCC/bin/ for other binaries and try
setting $CC to those instead.  If you have an "acc" or "cc" in there,
those in particular are likely to work.

Peter