NT PDC and SAMBA file server

Tom Warfield twarfield at astcorp.com
Thu Aug 24 15:39:46 GMT 2000

Okay leave it to me to screw crap up!  This worked before i started to play
with
some machine's ip addresses.  Now im screwed and its not working at all.  I
will go
through everything i have done from start and hopefully someone can tell me
what I
need to do to fix it.  Please make two notes before you read this, i am not
the person
who setup the samba server on this linux box(running Debian) and have never
setup SAMBA
in the past, and note two is that I am a newbie so expect the worse(hehehe).
In other
words if your expecting me to have done something that would make common
sense, i have
none yet :)  Here is what was done to break the original setup:
   Originaly the NT and SAMBA server was setup and running fine.  Well we
have decided to go to
Windows 2000 Server and with that in mind i decided to start up some of the
services,
like DHCP and WINS, but i decided well it will probably be best to use the
IP of the
current NT 4 PDC server.  Well I moved the PDC to another IP and everything
works great,
i definetly know more about Windows/NT then I do linux.  So everything was
working great,
was kinda patting myself on the back at the time because Windows 2000 is so
much different.
Anyways so I had WINS running on the IP of the original WINS server that was
setup in SAMBA,
well come to find out about two days later that SAMBA wasnt working right
for my users.  After
trying to get things backup i said well hell i dont realy need to have the
IP of the still
running NT4 PDC so i moved the NT4 PDC back to where it goes and was
thinking magic it would
work since that is the only change I have made.  After I moved things back I
rebooted both
machines, yeah i know you dont have to reboot linux but im still in a Bill
Gates diluted world
and i was hoping there was some special command that would execute once the
machine boots.
Well its not working still.  Here is my logs from /var/log/smb once you try
to click on
the samba server:
[2000/08/24 08:59:42, 0] passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_password_lock(119)
  trust_password_lock: cannot open file /etc/samba/AST-LAWTON.NS1.mac -
Error was No such file or
directory.
[2000/08/24 08:59:42, 0] passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_get_passwd(288)
  domain_client_validate: unable to open the machine account password file
for machine NS1 in doma
in AST-LAWTON.
[2000/08/24 08:59:44, 1] smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(500)
  Couldn't find user 'twarfield' in smb_passwd file.
[2000/08/24 08:59:44, 1] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(925)
  Rejecting user 'twarfield': authentication failed
[2000/08/24 08:59:44, 0] passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_password_lock(119)
  trust_password_lock: cannot open file /etc/samba/AST-LAWTON.NS1.mac -
Error was No such file or
directory.
[2000/08/24 08:59:44, 0] passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_get_passwd(288)
  domain_client_validate: unable to open the machine account password file
for machine NS1 in doma
in AST-LAWTON.
[2000/08/24 08:59:45, 1] smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(500)
  Couldn't find user 'twarfield' in smb_passwd file.
[2000/08/24 08:59:45, 1] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(925)
  Rejecting user 'twarfield': authentication failed

Okay so I realize that it says that its missing some files so here is a list
of the contents of
the /etc/samba folder:
total 40
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           42 Feb 15  1999 MACHINE.SID
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Jun 22 17:22 codepages
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           58 May 11  1999 debian_config
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1837 Aug 23 10:15 smb.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1864 Aug 23 10:14 smb.conf.bak
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         4915 Jun 20 21:07 smb.conf.dpkg-dist
-rw-------    1 root     root           26 Aug 24 08:38 smbpasswd
-rw-------    1 root     root        12444 Dec 11  1998 smbpasswd.old
-rw-------    1 root     root        12246 Aug 24 08:37 smbpasswd.old.tw
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           72 Aug 23 08:43 usernamemap

Okay here is what i think i need to do but have no idea on how to:
Well the samba server is up there and running.  So i guess what is going
wrong is that the username
and password list are wrong.  So im thinking what i need to do is to get
SAMBA to poll the NT PDC
for the usernames and passwords and add them to a file(im assuming the
AST-LAWTON.NS1.mac is a
password list generated by SAMBA from the PDC of the domain which is
AST-LAWTON).  Okay also i
tried the usernamemap and it didnt work either.  I was under the impression
that it would
use the linux username and password for the user once they tried to access
it, and also that the
username and passwords were stored in smbpasswd.  Well how do i get it to
recreate that file as
well?  The users who need to access the samba server have the same usernames
and passwords on
both the PDC and the Linux box so im thinking if i can get that part to work
then it would work
as well.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the long story and all for something that is
a simple problem.
I am a newbie at all this, but wanted to make sure i provided enough
information so you could
understand what i have done and where i think I need to be going.

Thanks for the help!

Tom