Error Message : read_socket_data

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Thu Aug 24 12:58:13 GMT 2000

Lisa Lemler wrote:
| We just installed Samba 2.0.7 and have the following error appearing
| in our logs for individual PCs:

| read_socket_data:  recv failure for 4.  Error = Connection timed out

| This error appears in the log at the same time the user loses
| connectivity to his/her Samba drives.  It is causing MAJOR problems,
| especially if they have a file open that is on that drive.

	Ok, this is an indication of an unexpected disconnection
	at the client.  "Normal" disconnections let the client
	clean up[ and reconenct if necessary.

	It usually means some sort of serious network problem,
	which is consistant with your getting "Network
	Name not found".

	Use netstat -s to see if there are any errors, and
	optionally a sniffer to look at packets: feel free to
	send me mail if you need help... this used to happen
	to Bob Eckstein (of Samba book fame) all the time,
	so I'm motivated to help you find the *@Q%#^#^!@! thing.

	A hint: check and see if it's one particular client,
	or a small number of clients, and then check that their
	ethernet cards are set exactly the same as the hub
	they're connected to: mixing 10/100 and half/full duplex
	is a wonderfull way to get mysterious errors (;-))

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com