Network extremely slow

Scott Lawson s.lawson at sghms.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 08:33:55 GMT 2000

Message: 12
Date:   Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:17:28 +0200
Peter,

This sounds like you have a network problem.

First thing you should try is to use FTP from your NT boxes to
the Unix system. See if you get similiar performance. This will
eliminate Samba as the cause of the problem. Next I would try
NT to NT Ftp to eliminate the server as the cause of the problem.
If the NT to NT Ftp is OK then I would suggest you try changing
the Server's network card. (Also change the switch port of the Server
and also the patch cable too). See if this fixes things. If you get bad
performance
on the NT to NT copy, it is most likely your switch causing problems.
It could be one of many things, stuffed switch or switch/Lan card
incompatability.
What Network cards are you using? I alwasy say if all else fails try a
3Com,
they tend to always work where others fail.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Scott.