Print server under SAMBA ( Bernhard Lüder )

John Ryan jryan at kgv.edu.hk
Thu Aug 24 00:20:47 GMT 2000

> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bernhard_L=FCder?= <bl at blue.net.au>
> To: <samba at samba.org>
> Subject: Print server under SAMBA
> Date:   Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:46:13 +1000
> charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Hi,
>
> I want to use my parellel printer on the network.
>
> I have a spare computer, that will be dedicated to run this printer. I can
> already print under Linux from the attached computer.
>
> I have installed RedHat on this computer and now I want to make its printer
> available to everyone on the network.
>
> What is the simplest smb.conf, that will do this job?
>
> I seem to have trouble opening samba enough for people to use the printer.
>
> Your help is, as usual, appreciated.
>
> Bernhard

Here's my smb.conf  It's maybe more complicated than needed, but
works fine. The main parameters that make it easy are "security = share"
and "guest ok = yes". That way anyone can use the printers.

John Ryan

# Samba configuration for print server

# Global parameters
	workgroup = KGV
	security = share
	netbios name = C1pserver
	server string = Print server in C1 Samba %v
	interfaces = 10.1.0.55/16
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	null passwords = Yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	local master = No
	domain logons = No
	unix realname = Yes
	preferred master = No
	os level = 17
	wins support = No
	create mask = 0755
	directory mask = 0755
	force create mode = 0755
	force directory mode = 0755
	force user = %U
	force group = %U
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
	max log size = 1000
	printer driver file = /usr/local/samba/print/printers.def

[PRINTERS$]
	path = /usr/local/samba/print
	read only = yes
	browsable = no
	guest ok = yes

[Printer1]
	comment = Printer 1 (Apple Laserwriter)
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = yes
	printer = apple
	printer driver = Apple LaserWriter Pro 630
	printer driver location = \\%L\PRINTERS$
	print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s %U
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
	guest ok = yes

[Printer2]