Error Message : read_socket_data

Lemler, Lisa N lisa.lemler at gwl.com
Wed Aug 23 18:12:49 GMT 2000

If this is not the right place to be asking this question....please let me
know!  I've checked out the news groups and have found nothing on this .....

We just installed Samba 2.0.7 and have the following error appearing in our
logs for individual PCs:

read_socket_data:  recv failure for 4.  Error = Connection timed out

This error appears in the log at the same time the user loses connectivity
to his/her Samba drives.  It is causing MAJOR problems, especially if they
have a file open that is on that drive.  If we try to browse the Samba
drives immediately after the message appears, we get something like "Network
Name not found" and do not get access to any Samba drives.  However, we are
still able to browse all of the connected NT drives.  All workstations are
NT 4.0 SP5 or SP6a.  HELP!!!

Lisa Lemler, MCSE
Investment Systems, Great-West Life
Phone:  303.737.6726