request_oplock_break message in log files

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Tue Aug 22 14:22:02 GMT 2000

Sarabjit Singh wrote:
| we are running Samba 2.0.6 on a solaris 7 (intel) box. Users (about
270 at
| one time) connect to the home directories located on the samba
server by NT
| 4 workstations . Problem is  ..Some times they lose access suddenly
.In the
| log files the following message appears
|¯-------
|[2000/08/22 08:28:09, 0] smbd/oplock.c:request_oplock_break(1202)
|  request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request
to pid
| 20772 on port 54910 for dev = 19801c3, inode = 4582438

	This is a client disconnecting, hanging, crashing or
	just timing out.

	Alss, Samba can't do much about it except probe the
	connection occasionally to see if anyone's there, and
	clean up if not.  Try setting
		keepalive = 300
	to make samba check regularly (every 5 minutes).

	The problem is probably a networking device: look for
	a bad client, and check the NIC cards, hubs and routers
	between it and the samba server.

	Feel free to send me email: the networking on solaris 7
	is related to my job...

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com