incorrect password

A. Benjamin inbox at t-online.de
Mon Aug 21 16:22:16 GMT 2000

Hello list,

Currently I have upgraded again to Linux-Mandrake 7.0. I don't think I'll
upgrade anytime soon. Nonetheless, I have made tremendous inroads with Samba.
With RedHat 6.0, I could not get the Linux box to show in Windows Networking
Neighborhood; now I can visually see it and it prompts for a password. Cool, I
said no! It's just a password issue and I have it fixed in no time. Well, I am
still trouble shooting.

Here are one tangible tidbit I have:  (1) There is a password problem, because
in /var/log/messages it reports "Aug 21 17:41 peagasus ((which is my linux box))
PAM_pwdb [4277]: authentication failure; (uid=0) -> ben$.

The password is correct, both in the database when I use "smbpasswd -a username"
and when I type it. I thought encryption ahd something to do with it so I
changed allowing null passwords. It didn't work either.

Any suggestions?