samba runaway processes

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Wed Aug 16 12:20:33 GMT 2000

[This discussiuon redirected to samba at samba.org, until we find
something germaine --dave]

Jie J Zhang wrote:
> Yep, I've experienced the same thing.  We had samba running on a local dir
> and accessing local files with no prob.  Second we moved it to another
> machine access samba and its shared dirs thru NFS, [...]
> Particularly in the fact that users spawned millions of
> processes. [about 5 times the normal number]

	I just built a dead-stock 2.0.7 samba and brought
	it up on my workstation, looking at both NFS-mounted
	and local disks.

	1) With lockd running on Solaris 8, everything is fine.
	   smbclient //elsbeth/davecb returns normal results
	   and there are only two smbds running.

	2) When I kill lockd with smbd running, nothing changes.

	3) When I start smbd with no lockd, it starts normally,
	   and I get only the expected two smbds.

	There is clearly a problem, but I can't reproduce it on
	Solaris 8 and Samba 2.0.7

	Can anyone try this experiment on a late-model Linux?

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com