samba development

Simo Sorce sorce at mail.polimi.it
Wed Aug 16 07:40:35 GMT 2000

Quota Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at samba.org>:

> i started on the nt domains for unix project on the
basis of paul ashton's
> enthusiastic and "this can't be too hard" attitude,
back in august 97.

> since then, with the encouragement of a number of
people over the last
> three years, and with the discouragement of others,
the nt domains
> protocols are now pretty well understood.
>
> due to that constant discouragement, i no longer find
it as enjoyable to
> work on samba as i did.  the enjoyment from
discovering new ground is no
> longer offset by the constant dismissal of the ideas
and solutions that i
> come up with.
>
> those solutions come from a far-sighted understanding
of what is involved,
> and what can be achieved.  i never intend to just
"solve the problem at
> hand", i intend to think ahead of what can be achieved
both now _and_ in
> the future.
>
> to that end, the constant dismissal of my development
approach, the
> constant dismissal of coding solutions, the constant
dismissal of designs,
> is just too much.
>
> if anyone can think of a solution to this, please let
me know.  in the
> mean-time, i shall find other projects to work on.
>
> all the best,
>
> luke

HI,
I've been subscribed to samba-ntdom from an year now and
just subscribed to samba-technical to follow closer the
developent of TNG primarily.
I've much appreciated your work in TNG and think you
will be a miss if you decide to leave.

>From what I have seen you seem to person who know best
the DC protocols in samba.

As Samba is a collaborative project and you should take
encouragments and discoraugements on the same way a make
a ballance between the two.

If you think discouragments to win take in account that
discouragments may come from misunderstanding of the
problems your "ar-sighted understanding of what is
involved" instead see.

I think the best way you have to level this problems is
to write a clear paper of your knowings with a rodmap
and weel documented resons to any techincal decison
involved, and you shoud be open on discussion about
that.

I think that with a clear concerted plan you may get
less discouragment and more neutral feedback.

This mail is not intended to offend anyone, if I have
done so please excuse me and my poor english.

I really hope you will not leave samba and TNG
development.

regards,
Simo.