NT-Client and Username/Password on an Samba-Server

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 15 16:20:04 GMT 2000

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 mbinder at vogt-electronic.com wrote:

> If a Client (NT) connect a share from samba a window ask for user/password.
> But the User and Password is the same on NT/Samba.
> Why did samba ask ? If I enter the user/Password it works fine.
> For Win98 its the same but I can save passwords there.

See the "docs/textdocs/WinNT.txt" file which comes with Samba, or the
same file at a Samba web mirror site[1].

In summary: NT always does this when it is talking to a server which
does not support encrypted authentication. It does this because it does
not want to pass a plaintext password over the network without the user
being aware that this is happening and having a chance to veto the
connection. The only known way to make the connection happen silently,
with no password prompt, is to configure encrypted passwords on your
Samba server.

[1] http://ie.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/textdocs/WinNT.txt, for example

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology