No network management of print jobs possible

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Aug 15 14:51:39 GMT 2000

At 18:06 15/08/00 +1000, Jens Becker wrote:

>over network. As printing system I have "lpq command = plp", and
>printing works fine with 2 printers. Do I need additional client

On my (Redhat 6.2) print server I have the following print-command related
options in smb.conf:

print command = "/usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s"
lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq
lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm %j
queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc stop
queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc start

Naturally this is specific to printing in RHL, but I'm sure you can come up
with analogous values for your OS. I am not able to pause individual print
jobs, but I can cancel an enqueued printjob provided I am connected as the
same user who initiated it. I can also pause the entire queue if I connect
to samba as root (which now that I think about it cannot happen, so I guess
those last two lines are unhelpful).
Samba also supports the definition of lppause and lpresume commands in
smb.conf (so that a user can pause and resume specific jobs), but lpc (as
ships with Redhat 6.2) does not appear to be able to do this and I've never
felt it important enough to justify getting new software. For detailed
descriptions of these options look at the man page for smb.conf (usually
installed along with Samba, but if not you can read it on the Samba web
site).
--

Who is this General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?