password problem

George R. Finnin gfinnin at juno.com
Thu Aug 10 02:09:45 GMT 2000

 I am running samba version 2.0.7 on a Slackware installation.  I am on a
 company LAN with many types of WinDoze systems, WIN95, WIN98 and NT4.

 No matter what I do, on my WIN95 machine, I keep getting a statement
that
 I must supply a password when I attempt to map a share. No matter what
 configuration I try and no matter what password I use, I still get a
 request for a password.

 I have gone through the "Using Samba" several times and nothing I try
 works.  Can you help?

 Here is my smb.conf with some of the things I have attempted:
 [global]
 ; netbios name = bart
   printing = bsd
 ; domain master = yes
 ; status = yes
 ; lock directory = /usr/local/samba/locks
 security = share
 ; security = user
 encrypt passwords = yes
 ; encrypt passwords = no
 smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
 null passwords = true
 ; public=yes
 password=no

 My smbpasswd files contains:
 tr-finningr:501:NO
 PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U
 ]:LCT-00000000:user, phone

 I am lost.