Samba 2.0.7 Install

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Tue Aug 8 05:42:57 GMT 2000

[Urban Widmark <urban at svenskatest.se>]
> No, the source is fine.

I've got a theory.  We all know `make install' doesn't make any
arrangements with boot scripts or inetd.conf.  It can't, since there is
way too much variation in OSes and personal style.  (Even among System
V init systems, there is enormous variety.  Most Debian boot scripts
wouldn't work on Red Hat, for example, thanks to widespread use of
`/sbin/start-stop-daemon'.  I thought I'd seen it all, but recently I
got to figure out HP-UX 11 scripts.  One word: *weird*.)  Packaged
versions of Samba, like the Red Hat RPM he was using, usually *do* take
care of boot procedures.

I bet that's what was tripping him up.

Peter