a problem to compile...

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Sun Aug 6 09:00:15 GMT 2000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Benjamin - wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i was unable to compile samba 2.07, it give an error whein i execute
> /configure...
>
> it report this error :
>
> checking configure summary
> ERROR: No locking available. Running Samba would be unsafe

I assume this is on a linux system? If so this is most likely because you
do not have kernel headers (or kernel source) installed. There should be a
package named kernel-headers or similar in your distribution. Install
that and try again.

Unfortunately glibc depends on /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm to
contain the "right" version of kernel headers. (Not sure what right is,
most likely the version that was used when compiling the c library).

I can generate the following lines in config.log by removing my kernel
headers.

configure:9353: checking for fcntl locking
configure:9366: gcc -o conftest -O   conftest.c -lreadline -ldl  -lcrypt 1>&5
In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
                 from tests/fcntl_lock.c:19,
                 from configure:9363:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
And there it wants a kernel header file. Note that if configure had not
failed you would most likely not be able to compile it anyway.

/Urban