Samba Password Encryption problem, please help.

Sikari, Mathias W IMCEAX400-c=AU+3Ba=telememo+3Bp=bhp+3Bo=bhp+3Bs=Sikari+3Bg=Mathias+3Bi=W+3B at bhp.com.au
Fri Aug 4 00:09:13 GMT 2000

Hello Samba Team,

I have just upgraded our Samba version from 2.0.5a to 2.0.7 on DGUX, and implemented the password encryption on Samba 2.0.7.

During the changeover, I configured the following smb.conf parameters to allow the smbpasswd file to be updated from plaintext passwords from users:

security = user
encrypt passwords = no
update encrypted = yes

I intend to use these settings until all users have their passwords updated in the smbpasswd file.

All Win95 users installed the Security patch to enable password encryption over the network.
A few Win95 users and a Win98 user could not establish a connection with the Samba Server on DGUX Unix. These users were able to successfully make connections using the plaintext passwords before the upgrade (ie. on version 2.0.5a).

Could you advise any other additional steps I need to take to troubleshoot these unsuccessful connections, please.

I would appreciate your help very much.

Regards.

Mathias Sikari
Unix Adminstrator
Ok Tedi Mining Limited, Papua New Guinea.
e-mail: sikari.mathias.w at bhp.com

EOM

NOTICE - This message contains information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.  It may also be confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error please notify postmaster at bhp.com.