Samba 2.0.7 & Transfer speeds

Steve Snyder swsnyder at home.com
Wed Aug 2 04:00:24 GMT 2000

>infernix wrote:
>> Copying a 107MB mp3 file takes almost 4 minutes (238 seconds)
>> when I copy it with samba.
>[Using windows explorer under Windows 2000 --dave]
>
>> With FTP, it takes 27 seconds.
>> 238 divided by 27 = 8.5 times slower.
>
>	Ho boy, that's bad.

Do you see a performance difference depending on the direction
(to/from the Samba server) of the copy?

I ask because I can *read* from my Samba server (all 2.0.x versions)
at FTP speed, but writes take 4 - 5 as long as an FTP PUT operation.
This is with Linux, OS/2 and Win98 clients so the problem must lay
with the server side, not a client config problem.

*** Steve Snyder ***