Anyone use PDQ with Samba for Printing

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Sat Apr 29 09:20:26 GMT 2000

[Ian Chilton]
> Does anyone use PDQ for printing with Samba?

Never heard of it.  Doesn't mean you can't use it, though.

> printing = bsd
> print command = pdq -P%p %s; rm %s

The "print command =" is, I'm assuming, valid.  You might also add in
other related parameters like "lpq command =".

"printing =" is mostly useful for setting the defaults of the above and
for auto-loading printer names.  Samba needs to know what file and what
type of file it should parse to get that information ("bsd" corresponds
to /etc/printcap, for example, parsed as a printcap file).  It's purely
a convenience.  I don't bother; for me it's just as easy (and makes me
feel like my overall system is less fragile) to define explicit printer
shares:

  [printer1]
  printable = yes

  [printer2]
  printable = yes

(Also, in each share, add in any variables you planned to use in
[printers], such as "path = /tmp" or whatnot.)

Peter