SUM: After upgrade to 2.0.6, Win98 users can't connect to Samba shares

Colin Brooks cbrooks at nature.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 27 17:37:58 GMT 2000

Hi everybody -
	Yesterday, I said that my Windows 98 & 95 computers couldn't connect to my
Samba shares after upgrading from version 1.9.16p9 to 2.0.6, while my NT
4.0 (SP4 & SP6) computers could, even though I had the same user names &
passwords on all the machines (UNIX, Win'9x, NT).
	I re-read the "What's New in Samba 2.0.6" document this morning, and found
the section called "NOTE:  Some important option defaults changed."  This
said that if I had no "security= " line in the [global] section of my
current smb.conf file, then I needed to add a line
saying:  "security=share" to get exactly the same behavior with the Samba
2.0 that I was getting with the old version of Samba.
	I added this line to my system, and now all my Windows computers can
access the machine.  In addition, users now connect to the read-only share
as "guest", but connect to the read/write share with their username.  So
now everything is fine again.
	It helps when I read the documentation!

Sincerely,
Colin

Colin Brooks
GIS Analyst
Integrated Hardwood Range Management Program (IHRMP)
University of California, Berkeley
Hopland Research & Extension Center (HREC)
4070 University Rd.
Hopland, CA 95449
Primary #'s (at Hopland) - TEL:(707)744-1270  FAX:(707)744-1040
Secondary # (at Berkeley) -  TEL: (510)643-1136
E-mail: cbrooks at nature.berkeley.edu
IHRMP Homepage - http://danr.ucop.edu/ihrmp
HREC homepage - http://danrrec.ucdavis.edu/hopland/home_page.html
GIS homepage -