Printing with Samba

Ian Chilton ian at ichilton.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 13:34:07 GMT 2000

Hello,

**** Please could you reply directly to ian at ichilton.co.uk, as I am only
subscribed to the Samba list in digest mode, so will not get responses for a
while ****

I am running Samba 2.0.6 and am having a problem printing...

I have attatched my smb.conf file..

When I run:
lpr -Phpdj filename
from the linux box, it prints...

When i run testprns, it reports that hpdj is a valid printer in
/etc/printcap

However, when I print from Windows, over the samba, the files appear in /tmp
(and stay there..), but the printer doesn't do anything, and nothing seems
to appear in the queue...

Any ideas??

I am currently using LPRing, but I have heard PDQ is better....
Does PDQ work with Samba??
What is everyone using to print with Samba (and from Linux)??
Is anyone else using:
* a HP Deskjet 690C (or even HP Deskjet 6XX)
* a Brother HL-1050 Laser
..that could provide me with config files???

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Bye for Now,

Ian

                     \|||/
                     (o o)
 /----------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------\
 |  Ian Chilton                             |
 |  E-Mail:    ian at ichilton.co.uk           |
 |  Web Page:  http://www.ianchilton.co.uk  |

All e-mail is forwarded to my mobile phone.
(unless it includes an attachment)

However, I only receive the first 150 characters.
Please structure your message accordingly.

"Unix is user friendly - it's just picky about it's friends."

"Windows is a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit GUI based on a 8 bit operating system
written for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company which can not stand 1 bit
of competition."