Inquiry from a reporter

Ann Harrison Ann_Harrison at computerworld.com
Mon Apr 24 22:35:39 GMT 2000

I am writing a news article about the rulings in the cphack and DVD cases
and how they could impact reverse engineering in the United States.
It appears that new interpretations of fair use provisions in copyright law
could force reverse engineering offshore.

A Samba developer tells me this has already happen with his project. I'd
like to know what Samba users think about the possible long term impact of
restrictions on reverse engineering. Will they hamper the development of
interoperable, competitive products?
Will they ultimately hurt those who use these products?

If you wish to reply, please include your title.

Thank you,

Ann Harrison
Computerworld