Win98 command line vs. long filenames

jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com
Sun Apr 23 19:01:13 GMT 2000

   I just cranked up Samba 2.0.6 on NetBSD-sun3 1.4. The clients are
Windows 98 (non-SE). I have had experience with earlier versions of Samba,
so I was able to get 2.0.6 up and running without great difficulty. I
exported a directory and was able to mount it on my Win98 machines fine.

   Using Explorer, everything looked like I expected it to: files were
listed with their full names and I was able to create files with long names.
However, when I popped up a command line, DIR did not show the long names
(the rightmost column, where they're normally displayed, is completely
empty) and I could not create files with long names -- the files were
created with truncated versions of the name.

   This symptom appears on three different Win98 machines, including two
which are set up to mount a drive from a Linux box running Samba 2.0.5a.
Those clients do not exhibit the problem when DIRing the share from the
Linux box!

   Obviously I have something set or compiled incorrectly, but I have been
unable to find anything in the documentation which seems related. Surely
somebody has seen this problem already and figured out what's going on?

   Thanks in advance.

   --James