printing to windows

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Fri Apr 21 23:10:57 GMT 2000

[Steve Salazar]
> When I tried printing to the windows printer using both the local dos
> command line and smbclient directly I still got postscript code.
> However, I was able to print the postscript correctly on the windows
> computer using GSview, not really what I want.

Then it's not a Samba problem and it's outside the scope of this list. (:

Are you sure your printer has a PostScript interpreter?  What did you
mean by "listed as a good postscript printer"?  Because it sounds to me
like it's not.

If it *is* an actual PostScript printer, you need to read the technical
documentation Canon sent you (yeah, I know, manufacturers think we're
all stupid these days, but one can at least hope you got *something*)
to see how to enable PostScript mode.  Then hack your Unix printer
config to prepend that string to every PostScript job sent.

If the Canon is not, in fact, a real PostScript printer, you will need
to find a PostScript interpreter somewhere else, either hooked into
your Windoze print spooler or hooked into your Unix print spooler.
(And good luck hooking something into your Windoze spooler.)  This
interpreter has to be willing to generate whatever language the Canon
actually uses.

You may wish to investigate combining `gs' and `magicfilter' at the
Unix end.  Those two together can do a lot.

Peter