SAMBA Browse Lists Sync DMB and LMB

Pazdnikov Alexander hunter at acmep.ustu.ru
Fri Apr 21 06:00:13 GMT 2000

Hello !

  I have a problem of syncing browse lists between
DMB and LMB.

  The topology of ours network is as follows:

        Linux Network

 comma(Linux, DMB, WINS)  vol(Linux)     door(Linux, LMB)
 | | |                     |               |         | |
 | | --------------(195.226.226.16/28)------         | |
 | |                                                 | |
 | --(local net 192.168.100.0/24 only Win95 clients) | |
 |                                                   | |
 ----(local net 192.168.1.0/24   only Win95 clients) | |
                                                     | |
     (local net 192.168.2.0/24   only Win95 clients)-- |

     (local net 192.168.3.0/24   only Win95 clients)----

  Comma - Network Server:
1. Samba ver 1.9.18p4 as : WINS, DMB, LMB
2. DNS
3. DHCPD (for all clients Primary and Secondary WINS Servers are Comma)
4. Others Services and Daemons.

  Vol - Linux WorkStation
1. Others Services and Daemons.

  Door - Second Network Server:
1. Samba ver 2.0.6 as : LMB
2. resover -> comma
3. DHCPD
4. Others Services and Daemons.

Problem:

1.  After bootting on a Win95 on one of Comma's local networks
(say it on 192.168.100. with ip .1 and name 'Cad1') it becomes
visible in the Comma's browse list. After some time it becomes
visible in the Door's browse list. And everything goes good.
After a 'gracefull' shut down of Cad1 it is deleted from Comma's
browse list. But from Door's browse list it would never be
deleted, except restart of Samba on Door.

2.  After bootting on a Win95 on one of Door's local networks
(say it on 192.168.2. with ip .1 and name 'Dis1') it becomes
visible in the Door's browse list. After some time it become
visible in the Comma's browse list. And everything goes good.
After a 'gracefull' shut down of Dis1 it is not deleted from
Door's browse list and thus from Comma's too. Browse list's of
both servers (Comma and Door) will contain Dis1 until restart
of Samba on them or may be for a great amount of time (such as
for some hours).

  What can You advise in how to make browse lists more valid ?

  I'm already thinking on adding a ping function on to a
sync_lists() function and delete those computers from list
that are not responding.

  Thank You in advance.

  Sorry, for my not good English.

        Good-Luck.