Mounting a workgroup or machine

catlee at canada.com catlee at canada.com
Wed Apr 19 15:31:47 GMT 2000

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 12:48:51AM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [catlee at canada.com]
> > Is it possible to allocate a portion of your file system to act like
> > Network Neighbourhood on Windows?  For example, I'd like to mount my
> > work group on /mnt/samba so that I can access files by going to
> > /mnt/samba/<host>/<share>/foo/bar.txt
>
> What you want *might* be possible, if you can find the winning
> combination of autofs and smbfs.  I don't have much experience with
> autofs, however, so that's all I can tell you.

Hmmm...Ok, I've got something sort of working.  I've got autofs set up to
mount //HOST/SHARE to /misc/HOST-SHARE, and then I symlink /mnt/samba/HOST/SHARE to /misc/HOST-SHARE.  The reason for this is that I can't figure out how to
get autofs to mount on any place below /misc (I can't say mount //HOST/SHARE to /misc/HOST/SHARE).

The symlink thing isn't such a big deal.  My problem right now is that there is
no way for autofs to automatically determine the shares on a host, so I can't
just set up an auto mount point for /misc/HOST.  Are there flags for smbfs that
will let me mount a single host?  The alternative is to make some cron job that
goes and reads the shares on all the hosts and updates /etc/auto.misc then
restarts the autofs daemon.