Problem: Samba 2.0.7pre4 --with-utmp on OSF1

Niels Kokholm kokholm at math.ku.dk
Mon Apr 17 12:44:57 GMT 2000

I tried configuring Samba 2.0.7pre4 on a OSF1 machine (actually a DEC
Alpha running Digital Unix 4.0d) with --with-utmp.

The autoconf system sets the variable HAVE_UTMPX_H

The linking of smbd aborts with the message
ld:
Unresolved:
getutmpx
utmpxname
updwtmpx
*** Exit 1

If I insert into smbd/connection.c
#if defined (OSF1)
#undef HAVE_UTMPX_H
#endif
right after
/*
 * Apparently AIX has utmpx.h but doesn't implement it.
 * The test for this ought to be (a) more automatic (b) elsewhere.
 */
#if defined (AIX)
#undef HAVE_UTMPX_H
#endif
The linking of smbd works ok and logging to the utmp file seems to
work. There is no logging to the wtmp file, but that would be obvious from
the comments in smbd/connection.c for this case:
     /* *** Hmmm.  Appending wtmp (as distinct from overwriting utmp) has
        me baffled.  How is it to be done? *** */

Yours

   Niels Joergen Kokholm         | email:   kokholm at math.ku.dk
   Institut for Matematiske Fag  | phone:   +45 3532 0759/+45 2128 6932
   Universitetsparken 5          | fax:     +45 3532 0704
   DK-2100 Kobenhavn OE, Denmark | www:     http://www.math.ku.dk/~kokholm