File locking, Linux Redhat 6.1, samba 2.0.6 and netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Fri Apr 14 18:37:26 GMT 2000

"Kevin (HxPro) Wheatley" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we're trying to use the above combination with Win NT clients, but there
> doesn't appear to be communication about file locking going on as the
> mac users are able to corrupt samba's files, is there anything that
> needs to be turned on/off on samba to tell the netatalk daemons to stop
> doing nasty things?  (or vice versa)
>
> Has anybody else had problems with this particularily under Word and
> Filemaker Pro ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kevin

This is most likely an oplock issue. No communication of oplock info
between samba and the kernel exists for any version of samba except
on IRIX. Code is being ported to Linux but Linus didn't like the first
implementation so it didn't get into the distribution. Until this
patch is accepted, your only option is to turn off oplocks in samba
for any share that will be accessed by different types of clients
(windows, local, nfs, etc.).

Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Strategic Software Organization              Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177