HELP? Cant rename folders from win2k

Sean Penticoff seanp at wolfram.com
Wed Apr 12 08:01:02 GMT 2000

Has any one seen this?
Samba v2.0.4b running on SunOS 5.7 and another on SunOS 5.6
Everything works great under W95,W98, NT4 and Win2k except you are unable to
rename folders from a win2k machine

Error Renaming file or folder

	Cannot rename %name_of_folder%:Access is denied.
	Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
	and that the file is not currently in use.
      		         OK

You can make, delete, copy, and move but you can't rename. Renaming of files
works fine.
Using a similar config with v2.0.3 on a Linux box everything just works.

Another odd thing I've noticed are the permissions under Win2k
Instead of showing valid usernames I get
S-#-#-##-##########-##########-#########-#####
the last ##### being different for each user.
The only name that gets resolved is "everyone"
If I try to add users or edit the permissions on either files or folders
explorer.exe happily crashes :-)
I can however take ownership with the end result being no change but also no
crash or error message saying that I cant do that.

I got to admit this one has me stumped. I've done the FAQ, the man pages,
the Diagnosis.txt, Usenet, forums, RTMFM, even bought the book and as near
as I can tell nothing even close to my problem has been documented. Please
tell me this has happened to someone else or I've done something incredibly
stupid like forgot to plug the server in. I've been fighting this for 2
weeks now and  am at my wits end. I see 2.0.6 is out (though I didn't see
this problem as one of the fixes) I guess that will be the next course of
action if this fails but I'm not looking forward to dealing with the big sun
in the other room it hates me more than my ex.

Thanks,

~Sean