Time Server

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Apr 12 00:24:26 GMT 2000

At 08:14 AM 4/12/00 +1000, Cristian POP wrote:

>What does samba when advertizes itself as time-server? Do I need to
>synchronize stations any more ?

AFAIK this is simply an informational option. SMB has support for reading
the time of day built in in any case. I tend to use xntpd on *IX machines
and "net time \\servername /set /yes" in the logon script for Windows
machines. Some people have told me that they get a "cleaner" effect by
placing some synch-and-terminate NTP client program (e.g. NetDate) in the
registry run key on Windows boxes (so they sync up with the NTP server each
time they boot) and not using a batch-file type logon script at all, your
milage may vary. In any event if you want your clocks to match up you will
need to explicitly tell the Windows clients to synchronize their clocks
with some time server, SMB is good for synchronization on logon or bootup,
if you need your clocks "really" synchronized you should switch to some NTP
client which runs constantly in the background (much the way xntpd does)
because NTP has (I think) much finer time resolution than SMB.
--

Who is this General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?