smbmount - what permissions?

Parker Dubberke dubberke at 501studios.com
Tue Apr 11 22:07:14 GMT 2000

Hello,
I am trying to give some users on a Linux machine the ability to mount
shares from an NT server. Eventually I would like them  to be able to do
this with a gui tool like LinNeighborhood, but for now I am trying to
get the smbmount command working.

I can mount the shares while logged in as root, but when I try logged in
as the user, I get an cannot mount on /mnt/userdir: Operation Not
Permitted error.  The user has RWX permission to the /mnt/userdir
directory and can otherwise manipulate files there.  I am using:

smbmount //servername/sharename /mnt/userdir -U username

As I said, this works if I log in as root and use any of the usernames
I've set up. This is smbmount 2.05a. What permissions do these users
need to mount the network share?

Thanks,
Parker Dubberke
Network Administrator